Friday, September 9, 2011

Conserving Water

Do you know that a typical Canadian uses 335 litres of water every day, and that an average Eropean uses only about 160 litres per day? (Gilchrist, Calgary Herald) We waste an enormous amount of water in this country. We also believe in the 'myth' that we have an abundant supply of fresh water.

Thinking about how to conserve water in our own daily lives is a good way to start making this topic real to us. I'd like you to think of ways to conserve water in your homes in the following areas: kitchen, bathroom, and outside your home.
Take a water footprint quiz to see how much water you use in your home at Go Blue - click on the box on the right-hand side that says "Test Yours." Your task: Do 2 things; share your water footprint score with your classmates and also talk about your personal water conservation ideas. You will have until Tuesday, September 13th to post your comments. Feel free to read what your classmates have written.

12 comments:

  1. Everybody knows that water is the precious material in the earth, everything living has made from water so everybody has to know that we have to manage water use especially at home otherwise we will be short on water in the coming years. My water footprint is 84.642 which is less high than average Canadian use; nevertheless it still high than supposed to be. There many simple ways to save water. For example, use bucket to wash the car, take a shower instead of bath, Don't leave the tap running while we clean our teeth or washing dishes , fix any leak in kitchen or washroom and finally we should teach our children to do all of these actions and remind ourselves and community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guy's my water footprint is 64275 ltr/year. I must say we are very selfish, because we don't care that the God has given us the free gift of water and we don't even thankful for this gift. when i see the people in somalia and africa do not have tbe clean water to drink i feel bad. we all are human but some have no accesss to clean water and others wasting this precious gift. We should all be thankful to the God for providing us the Water, Air and many other things in this world. I do enjoy taking shower, i will work on this to take less time so i can safe some drops for others!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily said:
    Hi everyone, my water footprint is 67,252 liter pre year. The result makes me feel guilty because I find out that I have some bad habits. For example, I like to take long shower and while I am cooking, I always keep the water running. I keep thinking that being a human, a top of the food chain, we should keep the environment live, not kill them. However, what do we have done are killing the Earth slowly and some people even proudly think that we can destroy ecology system just because of the human need! This is the sin of human I think. From now I will do something changes my bad water using habits. For instance, in the kitchen I will save water in a container and use it to wash instead running water. Also, in the bathroom while I brushing the teeth I will always use a cup for gargle and turn off the running water. Moreover, I will limit the time for shower. I have counted my time for shower which is about fifteen minutes, but I will cut it to ten minutes. Besides the house usage, in the yard we also need to limit the time for water grasses. I know some people in my neighbor they water their grasses and flower for twenty minutes, but we may just need eight minute to water all plants. Those are my opinion and I hope it can really help to conserve water more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My water footprint is 84,231 liter per year. It makes me feel guilty because I
    waste vast amount of water. Water is the most important natural resource of
    the world, and people cannot thrive without water . However, nowadays the large
    part of people didn't realize how water is important to people and to this
    world, such as squander water. We do not lose water but gradually destroyed ourselves. So, water conservation is our obligation and responsibility. Protection of water resources is from the side of the little daily things. For example, turn off the faucet after washing hands. Also we can re-use water after washing vegetables, rice and clothes to potted plants, thus to create a good water-saving habit. Let us hand in hand , heart to heart start the work on it and make our world become better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my friends, first of all, I have to tell you that I totally agree to consider water as the most important basic element. Without water, we cannot live. About the test, my water footprint is 66,404 liter per year. Although it represents 53% of the Canadian average, I do not know if it is a good mark or what mark should be have to reach the goal. In another point, in my opinion, we are not aware of the real importance of water because we have it in large quantities and we can use it anytime; however,if we would not have enough water, I am sure that another would be our behavior. Nevertheless, I am think we can do a lot in order to save water. For instance, when we wash dishes by hand, we have to avoid let the water run while rising. We should fill one sink with wash water and the other with rinse water. In addition, we should upgrade our older toilets with water efficient models. In fact, it is one of the main unconscious reasons of wasting water. Moreover, we can use use a water-efficient shower head at home. For example, according to Water Pik, if we use this product we can reduces water consumption by up to 36% and we can also save money up to $100 annually.In short, we can take part of this project, maybe it is the most important project to prepare us for the future, for our sustainability.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everybody,
    My water footprint score is 90,467 liter per year which is the higher than my classmate. I am very disappointed because I spend a lot of water for taking shower and for the dishes. I didn’t realise when I did the test. In my future when I will have children I have to pay attention how to use the water because God give us free of water which help us to survive and doing everything we want. For examples, cook, laundry along with shower. Therefore, without water, we would not be on earth that why it is also essential to think about other people who have a huge problem to have pure water . Finally, this test just opens my eyes because other countries as Africa can use this water I wasted. I feel guilty but I've retained my lesson in my future life and also to be able to teach my children how water is important for the community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there.
    One way to be aware of the quantity of water that I spend is relating it with something that being familiar with somethig that I could materialize. My footprint was 63,656 litres per year. And It seems to me a lot, especially if I imagine all this water fisically packed into bottles. It means that I spend daily 174 bottles of water ...guau! Looking at this spending in this way the only way to save water is to imagine if I am able to live for example, just with 30 bottles per day. That could be possible. Besides, each house should have a regenerating system for the water that it used for laundry, washing dishes and water that doesn't require being of human consume. Bur maybe the most important is to let aside the selfishness and start to think in the next generations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My water footprint 137,354 litres per year.
    My score is higher than Canadian average water footprint and also the highest among our classmate. I think 20 minutes of shower time is the biggest reason of my high score. I knew I took a long shower since I was young and I feel guilty. I also love soacking into a hot water for long time. I feel more guilty now. I will try to shorten shower time from 20 t0 15 minutes and I will reduce the time of socking.
    I think using a timer for water will be a good way of censerve water(I heard some contries are using this for hot water). I think I really need this for saving water.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello everyone my water footprint /yr is 84,972 liters, which is great shock for me as well, because I use to consider my self a conservationist and environmentalist and tend to follow practices that do not waste any precious natural resource like water. But I think because the rented places I am living in has no dish washer and cleaning dishes by hand is the biggest reason of my high water footprints. I have read all the posted blogs and very glad to hear that we all are thinking careful global citizens who belive in preserving and saving natural resources to save our world, especially I am very impressed with Juan Olivos ideas about how to shrink our water footprints and I am seriously thinking to do some fixes in order to reduce my water footprints.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi all my friends, as we know, water is one of the most important things for all kind of living things including humans, animals,plants and so on. They need water to support their life. Thus, what will happen if the water is gone from our planet? well, if it really happened, it might be the end of world. Therefore people should use the water wisely by reducing the amount of the water that we use every. Actually, there are several ways to save the water such as in the kitchen, we can save the water by using hand to wash dishes. Remember to wash in tanks and close the faucet when not using so that we don't west much water. In the bathroom you can save water by taking shower for a short time. Moreover, we should not use bathtub more often. For the toilet, we should use the one that has dual flashing containing low and high level of water. Anyway, my water footprint is 90,499 which ranks number 2 after Chungbin. It's also a pretty high number. however, this number increase that high because I have to water my vegetables in my back yard more often every summer. I don't know whether it's bad for my footprint or not. I think at least I am at below of Canadian average use of water. From now on, I will learn how to save the water and I will tell the members in my household to learn how to save water too because they waste more water than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi everyone

    There is no doubt that water is important for every one of us and not only we use it but every living needs it to live . After taking footprint , my water footprint result is 83,122 liters per year , so even it is less than the Canadian average , but I was surprised about this result and I felt guilty especially when I remember that people in Somalia don't have water to drink whilst we use it to wash our cars . In order to reduce my water footprint and save this priceless gift to our children , I should follow many ways . In fact, taking shorter showers and watering lawn for less time are great measures I can take every day . Moreover, using public transportation instead of driving my car is also important to reduce my water footprint and save money . Finally, in my opinion every one should be aware about the importance of water in our lives and even for the future of our children

    Thanks
    Hamza

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a depressing topic but real.

    My footprint is high (73.575 L/year) but less than average Canadian. Although, Canada has de biggest fresh water reservoir in the world, the water is a resource not inexahustible. In addition, water's treatment to make it fits for human consumption is very expensive. These enough reason for us to properly use this esential element, with out which life would be imposible. Taking into account these reasons I try to avoid unnecessary spending for example short showers, washes clothes once a week, don't wash the car, while we brush the teeth we off the faucet. I think, it is the second step becuase the first is be aware that we should not take the water for garanteed.

    ReplyDelete