Click on Water Crisis Photos and vew all 22 images from Time magazine and read the captions underneath. Some photographs are breathtakingly beautiful and some are alarming. Look at all of them and then choose one that has affected you in some way; either positively or negatively. Explain how you feel about the photograph and why. If you can't link here then there is also a link on Blackboard under Weblinks.
Enjoy reading what your classmates have to say. You will have until Tuesday, September 20th midnight to post your comments.

Hi everybody,
ReplyDeleteThere are more warning pictures than beatiful ones. A lack of water is really serious and is becoming a global issue if we do not stop wasting it.We need to start thinking and acting as soon as possible. Through those pictures I can see that as humans we are destroying ourselves and the planet by polluting water and devolopping technologically. Most of the warning photographs touched my heart especially The one where the boys are trying to drink contaminated, dirty water using tubes. As we know the lack of water in this country is one of the reasons of the conflict in Darfur. I wich everybody had access to good, clean drinking water, that we take for granted here in Canada.
hello,
ReplyDeleteI do agree with Malika, I saw all the pic's. every picture had some messages but when i saw the picture of two sudanasee children were using pipes to drik dirty water that was really disturbing. we should be thankful for God gifted water and we should help other by sharing these resourses with those who have no access to it.
Lily said:
ReplyDeleteHi everyone,
Those pictures are really reality, the picture pipeline really make me feel sorry for them. People live surrounding by the garbage and do not have enough water to live with. They connect the tubes to the pipeline steal the water and few children walked on the pipeline. I grew up in a rich country and we have cheap water and gas. I never think that the water is the problem. However, in the world there are many people suffering not enough water. Some people have pool in the house, but some people need to steal water for survive. Those pictures show us that in the world there is something not fair, and we need do something to change the situation.
Chungbin Lee
ReplyDeleteAs two of our classmates already mentioned above, I also chose 'Filteration'. It is really not easy to look at the picture. They drink from the land. Before they had the pipe, they must have drunken land water without any filteration. After I checked my water foot print score, I started to shorten my shower time and I am still working on it. I will try hard to reduce my water usgae quantity. I really hope people can find a good solution to filter the land(dirty) water into healthy water so thoes kids doesn't have to use pipe again.
Hello my friends,
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, all the pictures impressed me in good or bad aspect. However, in my opinion, the worst picture was number 10 in which we can see how a company pollute a river. Unfortunately, I have seen may of this factories when I used to work in fishing companies. In fact, many of companies's owners only want to increase their revenues and it doesn't matter if it affects our natural environment. In this picture, certainly, I can see that the company never will think in the meaning of sustainability, they only are thinking in the present and they don't care what will happened in the following 30 or 50 years. I think, the role of the authorities should have be more active to avoid this kind of problem. Finally, we are responsible too to take care of our natural resources, the change has to start with us.
After I saw those pictures, they impressed me a lot. The first few pictures like The Staff Of Life and Source showed how beautiful this world is. They allowed me to realize the water has brought great benefits to people. Everyone knows that people can't survive without water, but how many people really treasure water as treasure ourselves? One thing for sure is that most people still waste vast amount of water. The last several pictures showed that some places lack water, and people live such drought places, they even don't have enough water to drink. I can't image if I live in those places. Everyone should take action to save water. Otherwise, the world's last drop of water will be our own tears.
ReplyDeleteHello everyone,
ReplyDeleteI just see those pictures about water and I started crying because it made me think too much in my country in RWANDA. I remember when my mother was paying too much attention to the water to cook, give us a bath and also clean the house. But, I couldn’t understand why other children in our neighborhood could play accept us. She told me that water is the source of life that we have care how we have to use and not to waste water without reason. God give us water so we can survive and people can live better. However, nobody in this world understands that water is important in life and it is difficult to get water. Most of people have a lack of water that causes a massive problem in the world. Without water we would not be on earth. There are 2 photos which impressed me a lot the first “Sacred Bath” this picture remind me when Jesus was baptized, how the sun was sunshine and how the sky became wonderful. For this reason, water is sacred in world. The men who were celebrate the wonderful day spend they time to worship and thank God, they know that water is the power of life which courage them to live day after day. The second picture is the “ filtration”. I looked at this picture for 5 minutes and I felt ashamed of how I waste water. The two boys try to find water for them to survive even they know that water is contaminated. In fact, more people are expanding disease caused dirt from the water. Finally, people should be aware that some countries don’t have the advantage of having water as we in rich countries.
Hi my friends,
ReplyDeleteI want to tell you that, after I saw the all the pictures. I'm interested in a picture which was one of the most terrible picture among those. It was the picture #11. (Dirty Water). The man open the faucet and It came with very dirty water. I don't how his household will survive with this situation. They have to live without cleaning water. Moreover it was polluted by a coal mining company which make people to scare to drink. I can't imagine what I should do if my household faces this type of problem. I hope the government will care about maintaining the clean water and ensure we have safe water to utilize. In addition, the government must seriously punish all the company which pollutes the water and create a law to protect clean water. Therefore, we will have enough uses of clean water.
Hi there!
ReplyDeleteFrankly, the picture #9 (pipeline) shocked me. The idea of thinking of a future with seas, oceans and rivers... made of garbage. Even worst, the water monopolized, contained and controlled with the unnatural purpose of benefiting few ones. Whether that wasn't enough, the children walking over an old, cold and rusty pipe that separate them from the sacred liquid that belongs to them by own right. Then, I come back to picture #1 and I took a deep breath.
Hello Everyone,
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful site! All the pictures were eye-opening for me, including the beautiful views and the devastating scenes. However, the most touchable were the tragic views which brought a big question to me. The question is what have we done to our earth and how are we going to re-do our act. But I think it is too late to re-do our destructions; nevertheless we can think how can we unchanged some of our activities inorder to stop our unwanted actions and save our world for our future. Do we ever ask ourselves that what nature of future are our children going to have when most children of the world today, growing under the stress, pressure and struggle of availing natural resources like water on the daily basis. What can we expect from them as a humankind; may be more wars, conflicts and more devastation in the future. For e.g as the pictures show that children and people in the slum of India and rural areas of Kenya drinking highly contaminated water because they have no other choice. Obviously they must be growing up with the burdeon of thought that how can they can get water for drinking next day. In Pakistan a study done between 2003-2006 by UNICEF declared that one of the greatest reason why young girls stop going school after class five is unable to get proper toilet and water facilities in their schools. Ultimately, resulting in high rate of unliteracy in females than males in Pakistan,which results in unliterate generations in Pakistan. I belive that one whole year discussion will even be less to discuss the water crises; however we should be start thinking and acting from this moment today to bring better future for our children tomorrow and safe the only place where human can habitate in the universe.
Thanks
LAILA
Hi everyone
ReplyDeleteAs you saw guys , there are many good and horrific pictures . The message of every picture is different from one to another and every picture has a specific message . Recently , the lack of water becomes a serious issue in the world , so every one knows that it will be a water disaster after couple years from now and our children will suffer a lot if we don't take precautions of this problem . Furthermore, the picture which impressed me a lot is the picture number 02 , so it looks a nice picture but its meaning is different . In fact , underground aquifers are ranked the second largest reserve of fresh water in the world . Nowadays, those aquifers lost 2 to 4 times their reserves , so it may sign that human beings will face a horrible snag in the next decades and many people will be died especially in the poor countries . Finally , I would like to say that everyone of us should be conscious about the important of this priceless gift and work to ensure our children future .
Thanks
Hamza
Hi
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you, every picture has a terrible message, despite the fact that some pictures are beautiful does not mean they have different message to the pipelines in Mumbai, India or the factory polluting the river Huai in China or the two boys in Sudan . We are not aware of the short time we live in this planet and that it is not ours, this was given as a loan and it needs to be returned in good condition because someone else needs it. Human being supposedly an intelligent race but we are led by our greed and selfishness and we behave like vultures, only think about ourselves and our well-being and even we do not think in our future generationes. I think, that what is done there is no way to undo it, and only left the option of take care of what we have and teach our children how protecting our vital resource: Water.
I think this is the result of our actions added to the natural course of our planet. Is very sad .... Is time to change our behavior in water management.
Thank
Bertha Lucia