Thursday, October 20, 2011

Solving Problems


Thursday, 20 October 2011 

In class we looked at some of the steps we take to approach problem solving or critical analysis: observing, finding facts, inferring, assuming, forming opinions, developing arguments, and finally drawing conclusions. However, the steps listed on the handout may not be the process you actually follow when you are faced with a challenging issue. You may find that you skip or add some steps or rearrange them so they occur in a different order.

To analyze your critical thinking habits, identify a problem you have faced and walk through the steps you took to solve it. Make sure to explain in detail the order of the steps and what actions you took if one of the steps didn't seem to work.


Now analyze your approach. Is this your usual way of dealing with problems? Do you tend to think deeply or decide quickly, without much searching? Do you turn to others for help, or do you tend to work through challenges alone? Is your way of dealing with problems similar to the way others in your family or culture deal with them?

In addition to sharing your own experience, please comment on the experience of at least one other student. Your post is due by midnight on Tuesday, October 25.



15 comments:

  1. 1. Observation: After I changed my job the first time, I found out my second job was very different from what I had worked from my first job.
    2. Facts: The processes were too different. I did not know where to start to learn.
    3. Inference: I thought I could use guide book to get knowledge.
    4. Assumption: Usually guide book has details about process.
    5. Opinion: I studied my guide book and it gave me generous idea about working process.
    6. Argument: The guide book could not show me how to deal with various situations or details.
    7. Critical analysis: I got broad back ground knowledge from a guide book but I could not get enough knowledge from it so I asked for help from my colleague and they showed me several times to do the work appropriately. Learning from experienced people can be better than just following a guide book.

    Usually, when I face a problem,I think about my situation for a while. Then, I talk to people who have experience or how have background knowledge about my situation. After I lesten to them, I start to compare my thought and theirs. If I cannot be sure about my thought, I follow other people's opinion.

    This is what I have done when I worked last 7 years in Korea and I think it is kind of Korean culture. We talk to people about problems and we listen other people's opinion about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last two years, I remembered the first time when I took the Calgary transit to school by myself, I got lost as I took it back from school to my house. At that time, it was winter and very dark outside. It was extremely cold outside (-17 degree), and I have no cellphone to contact my family.

    * Observation: When I got off the bus, I realized that it was not my house Zone. I got off the wrong bus stop.
    * Fact: I didn't know where I was. Also, I have no idea how far I could reach my home because I was very new to that area.
    * Inferences: I might get lost there, and froze like a snow man.
    * Assumptions: I had an unclear idea of a direction to my house. I guessed if I walked straight along that street, I would reach my house.
    * Opinion: I should walk on that street and then try to find the street named Tarington Green where my home located in.
    * Argument: After I had been walking for 20 minutes, I still couldn't find that street's name. I was so scared. My nose, fingers, ears and my toes were numb and hurt. I didn't know whether I should continue on my way or not.
    * Critical analysis: I decided to walk only two more blocks. If I hadn't found my home, I will have knocked someone's door to ask for help. Fortunately, I found my way! Thanks god. Finally, I reached my house successfully.

    I can say that it is kind of normal way that I use to solve the problems, but not all the time. It depends on how big and difficult the problems are. Whenever I get into trouble, I always try on my best to solve it, and I will use various means to work out problem. As long as I feel that I really have no idea to solve it, I will seek for help from others because they may have a better idea of how to settle my problem. In addition, I am not sure whether the way of my problem solving similar to the way in my culture does because everyone has their own thinking, point of view and strategy of doing things and solving problem. Therefore we are likely to have a variety of methods to deal with our problems. However, sometime we even utilize the similar strategy to settle the obstacle.
    It seems to me that Chungbin and I use the similar method to solve the problem. What we did were that first, we figure out the problem. Then we went through the problem and solve it by ourselves. After that we will need somebody to help if we couldn't find the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I thought about some problems, I would like to follow these steps to solute it. First, observation; I would like to know what’s wrong with this thing, what was going on that cause it happened. Then, facts; i always think about more than one side of this thing, both have negatives and positives. Third, inferences; I also like to make a guess about the effects of those facts, think about the consequences. Next, opinion; I will according to those effects that concluding my opinions. Finally, critical analysis; according to that thinking I will get both two sides about this problem, so I might have some critical analysis about it. In addition, different people have different ways to think about things. In my eyes, one most important thing not only just follows some stable steps, but also that according to one’s situation to thinking; do well that flexible thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a traumatic ICU nurse and a team leader in Taiwan. In our ward, patients’ condition changed every day. Although there were some monitors helped we to analysis patients’ situation, nurses and doctors still needed to have our own judgement to handle every emergency situation. Sometimes the doctors were not enough or didn’t have enough experiences and the senior leader needed charge the ward and make decisions to save person’s life. For example, a 65-year-old male, he didn’t have any heart disease, but he was a heavy smoker. He went to the ICU because of the traffic accident and his pelvic had fracture and he also had multiple ribs fracture. This patient he had endotracheal tube connect a respirator and he also had an EKG monitor. One day, at night shift, his EKG monitor suddenly showed standstill means his heart stopped. At that time, the care nurse called CPR and leader’s first step was called the duty doctor and the doctor always on the way, not in the ward ,so leader had lead the CPR start.
    Observation: at the first time, we should watch and collected the patient’s EKG data, heart rate, and check endotracheal tube. For these observes should less than 1 minute.
    Fact: after the observation, we have data and some ideas for what was going on and cardiac massage should begin. At the same time, the leader need to report the doctors this patient’s disease history, every medication and the blood sample data to infer the reasons which caused the heart stopped.
    Inferences: sometime we couldn’t know the reasons that caused the problems but only a small amount data and our experience to guess the reasons and keeping CPCR and use some medicines.
    Assumptions: we always followed the ACLS or ICU book to do the CPR, and those books are the bible for the CPR steps and should be always right.
    Opinions: different care givers had their own experience and had different thinking for the reasons that caused problems.
    Arguments: after the CPR, we usually have different opinions about what were the cases such as heart attack, infarction (because of fractures), and lung collapse so on.
    Critical analysis: basic on the data and the patient’s condition in the hospital. Doctors and nurses need to think about the conclusion to put on the chart. If the patient alive, we need to think about the future treatment. If the patient died, we need to have the reasons put on his death certificate.
    These were my daily duty and work, and we usually had 2-3 patients CPR at the same time. Thus, sometimes we didn’t need to think about what will be the next steps because our body already move and did the action automatically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to common Chungbin’s:
    I had the similar situation while I quit my job and decide to come to Canada. At that moment, I just feel tired and I didn’t really thinking too much to make my decision. Of course I had collected some information about here, but I didn’t look at them so much. I usually use my intuition to make decisions. If follow the critical thinking steps, I am skip the arguments and critical analysis, but basically I did the same thing as you just did, think about the situation, talk to people, and compare the situation then make my decision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, when I was in college my father ask me should we buy this piece of land or not. It was really hard for me what to say because I never dealt in five figures numbers ever in my life.
    1-I first observes the market price and did some research to get some knowledge and how people buy.
    2- I talked to some property advisors to get some information.
    3- Then I start to infer and making meaning of those prices.
    4- After that I assume if I can get for lower price then listed price.
    5- Then I talked to my father what I thing the price is right for that property.
    6- Then my father gave me some feedback based on his experience
    7-finally we checked the price we are going to offer is base on reality and more chance to be accepted by other party and the outcome was they accepted our offer.
    I do agree with chungbin and would like to say it is wise to learn from other people experience rather than experience yourself some time.I always check with friend and family and discuss the problem especially with those who have more knowledge in this field, before I reach to the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there.

    Honestly, when I have a problem I don't follow any steps to solve it. I just visualize the solution. I have learnt that thinking of a problem for a long time rarely is solved. I think that one thing is to make a project and other one is to solve a problem. When I am going to get into a project I follow all the critical thinking steps excepting the assumption. When you asume something you fail, because all your decisions will be biased in something that you don't have any prove. You start asuming something and after a while ... surprise! wrong outcome, by the way. There is when it comes the excuses. A problem for me is not something that I don't know. The problem for me is something that I don't know where to find the solution. For example: I am afraid of dogs. That is a real problem!!! I was bitten many times by my pets when I was a child. So, that's kind of a cocktail of emotional, phycologycal and physical trouble when I watch a dog on front of me. Believe me I don't have time to do critical thinking or maybe I do this unconcious. The other day I was walking on the neighborhood and guess what... a beautiful but big coker spaniel (to be honest I don't know what kind of dog was it) in front of me without his or her owner. I just get fridge, put off my glasses and I began to say: soooo...soooo...( that is the way how I used to calm the horses)imagine how confusing I was! I turn my head just a little bit and I start to search for his owner. The dog started staring at me and to barking me. Funny eh! Fortunatelly I saw the owner and with a firm voice I asked him: Is he friendly??? Fortunately all the dogs in Canada obey to her owner. The dog just went to his house and that was all. After a deep breath I remembered that discovery channel used to recommend to avoid staring the dog. You see, my problem is not the dog even is to be afraid of them. The problem for me is that I don't know where could I find a solution for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Everyone,
    I am tend to be very very quick in decision making and a person who is working with me can assume that I am instant thinking; however the fact is that it often based on possibilities and Plan A, B or C.
    The process I tend to use while Critical Thinking my steps are as follows:

    1. ASSUMPTION: when I first arrived to Canada my assumption was that getting a teaching job will not be difficult.
    FACTS: the fact was that teaching is a regulatory profession in Canada and I will not be able to teach in school unless I have a liscence.
    OBSERVATION:observation, which I made that teaaching to adults doesnot require liscence.
    INFERENCES: I infered that I if I take a especialization in a specific field of adult education, my chances to get a job will increase.
    ARGUMENT: argument was which course I should undertake to be successful in my adult teaching.
    OBSERVATION 2: observation 2 was that generally teaching English to adult immigrants is in a demand, so I decided to take some ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHING COURSE.
    OPINION: my opinion was that Mount Royal University ENGLISH TEACHING COURSE will be more valuable as compare to GLOBAL VILLAGE.
    CRITICAL ANALYSIS: I took ACE-TESOL to study as a certificate course.

    As a personality I love to solve other's people problem, which I think a cultural too. However, as far as my own problems are concerned, I love to take my own decision, nomatter how much somebody guide me I often opt my own ways. Generally they give me satisfactory results, as I never blame others for failuer and take lesson from it. Moreover, I agree with Chungbin thinking, where she said that discussing problems is what she like to approach while dealing with issues and making critical choices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to comment on Zaheer's situation. Buying a property requires people long time because of its character. I think Zaheer did a great job. Researching about the current market is really important also, I'd like to add that not only checking current market price but it is importatnt to check previous 5 ~ 10 years's market price change. So when we deal with the situation like Zaheer's, part of problem-solving steps are basic of our thinking process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi my friends,
    I would like to comment on what Laila said. I think we have been in situation which we cannot find solution for a probleme and for sure we need the other's help who can be a friend, familly..etc. friend's experience and advice can be helpful in many cases. Especially when we are stuck on some problemes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before I came to Canada, I was working as a veterinary doctor in my private clinic. Through this job, I faced many different problems even with clients or with animals themselves. In fact, in some cases I got confused to diagnose some symptoms because many diseases almost have the same symptoms but different treatments. To be honest, I didn’t follow those steps to solve my problems in my previous job because I can say that it depends to the level of problem , so in my opinion , some problems don’t need all steps of critical thinking in order to be solved . Basically when I have a problem, I follow those steps which are:
    1- Observations: they are very important steps for solving the problem which is mentioned above, so without observation I can’t solve any problem. Also, I can add here assumptions, so in my opinion I think that when I observe any problem, I assume at the same time. That means from observing the problem I guess if it is going to be solved or not. As a result, observation and assumption are one step of solving problems.
    2-Facts: that means that I have some information about the problem, so this information should be true in order to let me guess what the best solution for this problem is
    3-Inferences: if my facts are true, my inference will be true too, so based on the correct information that I have, I can infer the best solution to my problem.
    4-Opinions: it is another important step to solve problems, so in some cases I have to use my ideas and beliefs that the problem will be solved.
    5-Arguments: getting an effective argument is the reasons which I have, show me if the taken steps are correct or not, so through my steps I can know if I am in the right path or not.
    6-Critical analysis: I can say that this step is the conclusion or the result what I have done, so if the all steps above are correct, I can say that I am thinking critically to solve my problems.

    Furthermore, I consider myself that I am deeply thinking about problems, but it depends to level of the problem that I have, so I sometimes need to think about the problem more than one time. In fact, I get confused with some steps in some kind of problems, so in this case I seek help from others who have already faced this problem and found solution of it.
    Finally, I agree with john that in some cases we can’t do critical thinking because of many reasons. For instance, in some cases is related to person intelligence, so intelligent people are fast to find the best solutions and they use many skills to get it. On the other hand, some people are a little bit slow to find the great solutions for their problems. Moreover, critical thinking is related to the person emotions, so people who have many problems at the same time, they will get hard and long time to solve their problems. As a result, critical thinking is affected by intelligence and emotion of the person.

    Thanks
    Hamza

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi my friends,
    Approximately, I have same approach of how to solve the problems as Juan does. Problems are part of our life and everybody has faced a problem but we are different in how to fix them. In my case, usually I do not follow all these elements of critical thinking. As an example of the most challenging problems that I have faced and through it I have learned a lot of good things, when I graduated from university, I could not find a job in my field, so instead of demonstrate in front of parliament like others graduate students I preferred to take another diploma in Electronics and get a job, I usually try to understand the problem and analyse it. Then, I start suggesting and studying the solutions. For instance, if these solutions make sense or not and if there is any kind of negative consequences I go and apply them. Next, if I there is no way of answering my issue, Then I ask friends or family for advice or help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree with chunghin bin Lee to have more knowledge in your life is to have more experience by other people. I remember, the first time, I get at job student in my country I couldn’t know how to communicate and be able to help some clients in my store which I get complicated to work . I try to watch on YouTube or read some book how to do this job and I nothing help me. However, I try to be confident by myself and try to do the same way as my employees which facilitate me a lot to do my tasks. In my opinion, it is essential to get more experience outside than in class or in some of book .

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't solve all my problems in the same way. If I have personal problems I listen my instincts or my gut. For professional problems I try to follow my steps based on my knowledge and try to make the solution as quickly as possible.
    - Observe the facts to get a clear picture as possible of what is going on
    - Define the causes that are leading to the problem
    - Identify possible solutions depending on the importance of causes. In this step I have in mind the degree of influence of each cause on the generation of the problem. I try not to assume or infer things because they are based on personal interpretations and feelings.
    - Finally implement an action plan to execute the tasks associated with the solution to this problem.
    - After a while of have implemented the plan I evaluated it to determine if the decision works or whether I have to implement something more.
    I try that the solution to a problem does not become another problem and it is the simplest and most effective possible.
    I agree with john and Laila when they say that the problems have to solve as quickly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. Observation
    My first day in Canada was so different that I could feel alienate. This was because the snow was so massive of I was scary of. Even though I was new comer, I observed this Mother Nature. Therefore I became to realize that the weather here is far more frighten then the climate in my Country.
    2. Fact
    The fact was this; I did not know that people check the weather for cost before going out. However, Instead of wearing heavy jacket, I wore T, shirt and short. This also had negative impact on me as the temperature changed. In addition, my anticipation was different. This notion took me some times till I accustomed to the harsh winter.
    3. Inference
    In the same situation, I wish I would have checked internet before coming to this country. This would equip me any time weather comes.
    4. Assumption
    Since no one explained to me how the weather is cool and bitter. I ended up not wearing the winter jacket as everyone does during the winter season. It is a lesson that will always lives in my mind.
    5. Argument
    While it was freezing, I had to run to the nearest store in order to buy a jacket. I also learned from that day that it would not happen again. Since this happened to me. I now get ready when it is winter.
    6. Opinion
    I should ask my dad or somebody who went to Canada before me to ask more information about the weather in Canada. So that if I m going there, I will make sure to get more clothing and also to be ready for the first winter in Canada.
    7. Critical analysis
    Finally, I know how the weather is in Canada and which I learned that when I am going to travel in different country. I have to make sure about the weather also have more information where I m going.

    As a final point, for this experience I had, I ask everybody for help or to solve some problem. Occasionally, citizens think that you can solve own problem or you are very certain that you know more and you forget the most important thing that you can share or request people for lend a hand.

    ReplyDelete