We are almost at the half way point in the semester, and you have already accomplished much. You've written an occupational report, a group essay and paragraph, read two novels, produced six news summaries, and given three oral presentations. As we head into the eighth week, I'd like to know your feelings about your EAP experience so far. Your assignment is to write about your triumphs and frustrations--what you've learned, what you are struggling with, what you thought you couldn't do (but did) and even what you hope you never have to do again! This isn't a checklist--feel free to just share whatever you feel is significant in your English study in EAP. This blog is to help you assess your own strengths and to analyze your progress so far.
Your grade, as usual, will be based on how thoroughly you respond to the question and whether you respond to the comments of at least one classmate in your post. Since we will be having interviews on Thursday, October 20, writing some of these ideas down may be a good preparation for verbalizing your ideas before you talk about them.
The assignment is due by midnight on Tuesday, October 18
Your grade, as usual, will be based on how thoroughly you respond to the question and whether you respond to the comments of at least one classmate in your post. Since we will be having interviews on Thursday, October 20, writing some of these ideas down may be a good preparation for verbalizing your ideas before you talk about them.
The assignment is due by midnight on Tuesday, October 18

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFirst, my triumphs are, I finished the occupational report and group essay. Before I did occupational report, I was quite worried about it but with all the help from teacher and friends, I could finish it. Getting information was not that difficult but the hard part was analyzing it and reorganizing it as the way I focused on. Regarding group essay, I was really lucky to be a part of my group. I have learned a lot from my members through writing process. Also, I became to know little bit better about citation correctly.
ReplyDeleteSecond, my struggles, I do not feel that confident about reading and writing. I think my grammar and vocabularies are not strong enough. I need to spend more time about them to be confident.
Third, there is nothing I do not want to do it again because I think most of the activities are needed for the students to develop their abilities.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Chungbin, to finish the occupation report is a big thing. In the first time I was thinking that I have never done this kind of report in my language, how can I do it in English? However, in the end, all of us finished the occupational report and because of this project, I have learnt to use the Microsoft word that I did not know before. Also, writing the note or do the research for the data and put it together was hard and made me feel stress, but when it be finished I just have one feeling: wow! I can do it. English for us is never easy; a lot of detail we need to know and it always comes to the writing and reading. Sometimes I feel that my writing was good enough, but the truth is it is never can be good because we are not native English users. Also, a lot of vocabularies wait for me to remember and the hardest thing is how to use the correct words form. The same things happened in the reading, sometime I hope that one day when I weak up. I can use read just like true English. For me, learning language is continuing and we may need to repeat to do the things that we have done. I don’t mind it, but I also hope that I can go back to my field as soon as possible.
ReplyDeleteHi my friends,
ReplyDeleteENP and EAP class are very important class during my learning English. They are considered a big transition for me, through them I have learned a lot of things that I really needed to communicate with people with confidence such as new vocabularies, presentations and to prepare myself for next academic program; for instance, how to write an essay, paragraph etc. My friends and my husband told me that my English is getting better, which encourages me to keep doing well. My problem is I will be frustrated if I do not get the mark I need, in order to get into SAIT which 85%. I will feel that I spend four months for nothing that is what I am worrying about.
Hi there!
ReplyDeleteI don't like to talk about frustrations, instead I would like to talk about expectations and I still remember the guy who told us that EAP was more difficult than ENP. Sorry guy but you were wrong, I don't think so. ENP is not more complex but even more challenging. That is really good in my point of view. For example, the Occupational report was something really interesting and constructive since make me realize what are my alternatives as a professional in Canada. Being part of the panel in the multiculturalism forum was another amazing experience and thank you for giving me that opportunity. I enjoy reading Maclean's magazine although I think that there are not enough for everybody. The blog focus on the importance on water and the topics in the FOV have been really appealing. Something to improve... I think that the seminars could be made on Power point and the same for the newspapers presentation.
Hi my friends,
ReplyDeleteHere we go for second time.
First of all, I have to said that it is unbelievable how quickly the term has gone, we have done the first part o f the course. I totally agree with Malika when I have to analyze my English classes that I have taken. EAP and ENP are the best ones. Actually, I feel that my English is improving. If I have to compare to one year ago (when I came to Canada), there is a huge difference. The best way to test is by my daily activities such as reading or watching a film, or when I talk with someone. Especially by phone!!!!
On the other hand, I know that I cannot have a performance like a native English speaker; nevertheless, I don't feel frustrated. In fact, I always remember Fionas' words that we need at least seven years to think such a Canadian, so I have just spent the first year. In addition, I know that this is the right place to make mistakes (in class) because I receive the feedback of the teacher while I am learning. As a final point, I really suggest to do more pronunciation activities. In my opinion, it is the hardest one. I hope the second part of the course will be useful such as the first one.
Hi everyone, I thing you all right. first of all, when I got to write the Occupational report that was really challenging because finding those people for information interview was hard especially for me but with the co-operations of class mates this became easy. I gained lot of knowledge but I still have some grammar issues while I am writing and I hope these issues will get better when I will get retire!
ReplyDeleteHi every one.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Malika and Juan. ENP and EAP courses have been very important to my learning English process. My weakness is speak, and sometimes I feel frustrated. I often find myself thinking in English but when I need to talk it disappears somewhere between my brain and my mouth. This is frustrating for me. However, one thing is true my speaking is much better now than 6 months ago. The news presentations, seminar and discussing groups help me to improve my speaking, and speak in front people. I found that "occupational report" project 2 help me to clarify my goals and I realized that I have several options in my profession. It was a good task.
Hello Everyone,
ReplyDeleteLike my other class fellows; for instance John and Juan I have come across with no frustrations during my ENP and EAP classes. In fact the whole process of learning English is worth experiencing as a newcomer to Canada. I have discovered that these ESL classes are above the learning Englsih process. On the other hand they are more engaging with acculturation process, which is very beneficial for my personal and professional settlement in Canada as a new place. Agreeing with John and Chungbin I also agree that EAP is more easy and enjoying in terms of task and nature of program. In first half of the EAP course I especially enjoyed weekly reading exams, seminars, writing summaries, reading novels and writing easy with focus.And no doubt the occupational report that allowed me to engage in process of refelection and analysis was a highly intellectual process. Another very crucial aspect of this course which was also helpful was attending library session, as it assessed me to avail E-library resources. However; there are few aspect during my learning process that I am striving with and for which I am certianly agree with Zaheer that grammar is my weakness too, which I am also tackling with, I am especially struggling with my writing Englsih issues because I am very bad in writing Englsih. Though when I speak my spoken errors doesnot ideantified but my written errors are easily identified in black and white script. Nevertheless, as a teacher I strongly believe that learning is a life long process and so far whatever I encountered in EAP course was a wonderful experience of learning. I hope the pace of classroom shall continue in the same manner during the next half of the course too.
I never thought about I could communicate with other people using English back when I was in China. When I just started learning English , there were lots of vocabulary that I could not remember exactly; most of the time I made mistakes about spelling. Especially for some long words that I try to remember them, also use the dictionary for checking many times, but still cannot recognize how to use it. However, in my eyes learning English not only just try to study, but also should found the interesting from it. People who studying English should keep a positive thinking about it. Such as, if I faced some problems about vocabulary, I would tell to myself that I can do it, this is not a big deal, and so on; just take it easy. Finally, I believe that I can handle any troubles as best as I can; I can do it well.
ReplyDeleteHi friends,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I was terrified about this course because most of my friend told me that it will be very hard and I will have a lot of home works and I was thinking that I will be not able to do this course. Also it will be hard for me. Yes, it is tough but before, I wasn’t confident by myself but as far I try to be confident and being positive. For me, when I was doing my occupation report I realized that I will fail but I had the marks that I couldn’t expect. I learned many thing this research, I know what I want to do in my future life. Moreover, I had a wonderful interview with Poonma; she gave me a lot of advice which help me until now. I’m very proud of myself. Nevertheless, I have to work so hard for my essay and my paragraph because I have complicated for section. Last Sunday, I was talking to my friend and she told me that I increase my English and I am able to communicate with people also give some opinions. Consequently, EAP course gave me a lot of opportunity to progress my challenge such as reading and writing. My frustration will be not able to pass this course. I have a belief that if I work so tough and do my homework on time. I told myself that I can do it. Denise
Hi everyone
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I would like to say that EAP is very important stage of learning English, especially writing summaries, comments in Blog and water essay. Furthermore, doing newspaper presentations and seminars are necessary to gain more confidence when talking to people and they help me to improve my speaking skills. At this point, I suggest that if we have some time to discuss some grammar rules in the class. In fact, after writing essays, it is better to correct some mistakes in the Blackboard and share them with all students, so I completely agree with Zaheer in this point. Moreover, the best part in this first half of EAP class is the occupational report, so it was a great experience for every one of us. For instance, I learned much valuable information about my future occupation and now I have a clear insight about my goal, even I learned how to organize bunch of information, using APA style and searching information from different sources. Another important thing which everyone should think about it is the final mark at the end of this term. For example, some academic programs need some high marks to allow for everyone to gets in this program even at BVC or Sait. As a final point, I think that EAP class is the best place to improve our skills and also it is the safest place to make mistakes, so everyone should be aware of this opportunity before attending an academic program or getting a job.
Thanks
Hamza